World Heritage RørosThe Work of Preservation

The Work of Preservation

As early as 1922 the Chief Inspector of The Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments and Buildings (Riksantikvaren) became interested in Røros. A recommendation was made to place preservation orders on 8 of the buildings and 20 other buildings should be further evaluated.
more...

The extension of Røros World Heritage Site
Only the centre of Røros is included on the UNESCO List of World Heritage Sites. Since 1993 work has been going on in order to extend the area of the Røros World Heritage Site.
more...
Outhouse Project
As the town’s agricultural activities ceased by the middle of the 1950s many of the outhouses lost their original use. The result was increasing deterioration.
more...
Preservation of Buildings
Copper ore was the reason that a town was built on the mountain slopes of Røros. The new arrivals built their houses close to the smelting shed, on both banks of the Hitter River, which supplied power to the smelting furnaces, all this took place some 10 km. away from where the mines were sited.
more...
Rehabilitation of Tyristuggu
Today, five houses with preservation orders in upper Sleggveien, are owned by The Røros Museum and History Society, among them is Tyristuggu with a preservation order dating from 16th October 1940.
more...




Røros was added to UNESCOs of World Heritage Sites in 1980, refer also to Riksantikvaren, ( Norwegian Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings).
The content of this website is copyright protected.. Reproduction is not allowed without permission.
Financed by Kulturnett.no and Norges Forskningsråd together with Høykom.