Some of the Other Smelting Houses
After only a few years of production at the Røros smelting house, the surrounding forests over an enormous area had been felled. The cost of transporting charcoal and wood to the smelting house increased yearly.
|Tolgen smelting area, ca. 1870 Photo Elen Schomragh|
Røros hytte 1646-1953
Nøren hytte (1654)* 1656-1672
Galåen hytte 1660-1671
Feragen hytte 1661-1692
Tolgen hytte 1670-1871
Tamlaget hytte (1659)* 1671-1690
Dragås hytte 1727-1834
Drevsjømo hytte 1813-1834
Lovise hytte (1748)* 1827-1879
|Eidet smelting house at Aalen by the Gaula River, the photo was taken before 1887. Røros Museum arcives.|
*Noren smelting house was built by Claus Rasmussen, and taken over by the Company in 1656.
*Tamlaget smalting house in Aalen was built and operated by Joachim Irgens from 1659 – 1671. Røros Copper Works took over in 1671.
*Lovise smelting house at Plassen in Alvdal was built and operated by Fredrik Gaves Verk (Foldal Copper Works) from 1748 – 1827).
Røros Copper Works acquired the entire assets
of the Foldal Copper Works in 1827, and thereby
control of the Lovise smelting house.